Translate

Follow by Email

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

This Week On Mortality



The death obsessed thing never really worked out for me as a teen. I went the hyper, colorful route instead. Although, one of my best friends had the whole gothic teen thing down to a T.  

Nevertheless, I still had a relatively angsty adolescence (who doesn't?), which exhausted my parents, but fortunately granted them a relatively normal college-era Annabelle.  Then, of course, the tumult resounded shortly after, as these phases go. Well, I've been pretty mellowed out for the last three to four years, so I guess it's time to flip shit upside down and think about death for a while. Upon reading Julian Barnes' Nothing To Be Frightened Of, I was happy to learn that he references some of my favorites from the start... Montaigne, Shostakovitch, Stravinsky... This will be a good ride, I think.

Starting the book in bed last night to Shostakovitch's String Quartet No. 15, with an open window and the supplementary sound of pouring rain, made me forget that I am supposed to be in a terrible mood.  Maybe Barnes is onto something... By thinking about death more often, you not only learn how to live, but you appreciate that you are alive.


1 comment:

  1. I love Shostakovich! My favorite from him is Symphony No. 7 in C Major, Op. 60-- it's so epic and triumphant-sounding.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)