Translate

Follow by Email

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Summer Lovers

There's an mysterious and special place in my heart for ridiculous 80's films. I've been taunted by friends for liking widely regarded bad music in a serious way (i.e. cheesy 80's songs and "bad" pop songs), and I guess for the first time in my life I understand what they are talking about because I just watched what I acknowledge as a kinda bad movie (which I ended up still loving) with what I believe to be an amazing soundtrack, and thought- well, if the movie was recognized as ridiculous, is this music- so inextricably interwoven with this entire bad 80's world- also bad, and if yea, is that what people are talking about when they're puzzled by how I can like something so terrible? I mean, of course I don't logically think this soundtrack is contingent on the film's quality- they have their own life and contexts, and have nothing to do with each other, but regardless the general question was posed. To me, Randal Kleiser's Summer Lovers, the film that triggered this inner monologue, is so bad that it's absolutely brilliant. The sum of its parts somehow transcends the sexism, the bad acting, the fact that Peter Gallagher looks at the camera at least three times, the non sequitur dialogue, the almost nonexistent character development, and offensive use of exoticism into this strange pleasure that because it's this sort of audiovisual time capsule, I'm almost excused to love it from a distance. I did, however, love the theme of challenging your comfort zone, but that feeling sort of expired when there was no complete three-way romance and it was just the two girls sharing the dude for his kicks.



Some precious gems, if I may...



Thank you, Bun and Poots, for sending me this treasure of a DVD.
I can't fully explain why, but I will watch it whenever I need to remember who I am. And I don't mean that as a joke either!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)