Translate

Follow by Email

Monday, March 11, 2013

Keyboard O'Clock!!!!!!!!!

I went into this diner in the Bronx a couple of weeks ago.  An older Polish man noticed my hands and said they're nice.  "Thanks," I said, and he continued: "You can probably hand model... Do you play piano?"  Dodging the compliment, but secretly happy he said that, I focused on the latter half of his comment:  "No, but I really wanted to learn when I was younger...  I've been thinking of learning.  I really want to."  "You're too old now!" he said.  "They usually start them off around 4 or 5!"

OK, #1 - I'm not aiming to be the next Chopin here.
And #2 - Even if I wanted to be, what the hell kinda thing to say is that?
Just because you didn't get to accomplish whatever dreams you had in your 20s- which are clearly surfacing now from your subconscious so as to to derail my inspiration train- doesn't mean you need to mar your local humanity with this doom and gloom!
(Also, I thought you just said I had nice hands?  They're a parity marker and now you're saying I'm too old?  I'm a little lost here)

Just for that, I've taken the liberty of buying a keyboard, and straight away upon getting home I learned the major and minor chords. This way, when I am that man's age, I can spend my retirement playing more advanced pieces, or maybe being able to aid my potential kid's piano lessons moreso than if I never learned.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a way to play with your emotions. You go ,girl for not letting him keep you from trying!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)