Translate

Follow by Email

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fattening the Shelves

I got these books yesterday thinking they'd be a good follow up to John Searle's Making the Social World.

   

I've had a weird relationship with Sarah Bakewell's How To Live for like two years now. I have Montaigne's Essays on my bedside table, and have been fascinated with his style and contribution to literature for also about two years. I kept second guessing the purchase of this book despite the great reviews and recommendations because... well, I could just read his work and assess it myself. I don't need to spend $17 for someone to synthesize his writing and tell me how highly relatable he is, I can find out myself for free, right?! Wrong.  

I bit the bullet yesterday and got it after months of reluctance, and I'm so glad I did. The way she weaves his personal history elucidates the work and sparks the ability for the reader to make even more connections in this endless hall of mirrors that is seeing ourselves within other people. I'm only in the first chapter, but twenty something pages in, it's already got me thinking seriously about the role of death, and by extension loss, and its connection with rebirth and a personal renaissance. More on that later... For now, I just wanted to say I'm hooked. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)