Translate

Follow by Email

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Ignorance Is Bliss?

Two ideas from today I wish to log on the blog:

While chatting with a colleague, we stumbled upon this quote from T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets in conversation: "Humankind cannot bear very much reality."

Later on, about five minutes ago, I come across this one from Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray:
"He frowned, and, tearing the paper in two went across the room and flung the pieces away. How ugly it all was! And how horribly real ugliness made things!"

I like to think that I like reality to slap me in the face. Maybe this is why I find myself in uncomfortable situations all the time. I like beautiful things, but don't find myself in pursuit of them as much as I wish I did. I appreciate fantasy, but tend to immerse myself in the relevant and the practical, although I do reserve more room for superstition than I think is healthy. I don't think I can be considered an escapist, though I wish could, because the truth is, come to think of it, even my escapism is methodical...

Eliot writes:

Neither plentitude nor vacancy. Only a flicker
Over the strained time-ridden faces
Distracted from distraction by distraction
Filled with fancies and empty of meaning
Tumid apathy with no concentration
(from Burnt Norton)

Not too dissimilar from Gary Jules' "Mad World" lyrics in the video below, eh?

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

A convenient YouTube leads to an important overlap, and all of it converges at this question: How many ways though, do I distract myself from reality? Counting the ways, I'm already at on hand number two... Maybe I am the escapist I want to be. "When people run in circles its a very, very mad world."

1 comment:

  1. Your posting is very greet.
    Directory listing online had been a very popular search tool.
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)