Translate

Follow by Email

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Miss My Parents

My mother is visiting me for the first time since I moved to New York. Aghheheehaghhhh!!!! Ring the alarm, this is the sound of Annabelle crying, eiiiiy!



Some of you may know that this is a paradigm shift, this phenomenon that's going on right here. My mother is very much into her comfort zone, her morning walks with the gals, a quiet breakfast, then handling the usual family biz, as is my father. Although he's a little more bold and borderline bombastic about the whole routine. I have been asking my parents since I made the move: Why don't you want to is it me? It's New York! It's amazing- the sights! The food! How is it that you haven't visited me yet? To which my dad simply replies with I live here. This is the same answer that I'd get when I wanted to visit friends' houses for sleepovers and slumber parties; where everyone else's parents didn't seem to mind while my dad responded with You have a house and a bed already. All across the state of California, and deep into Central Mexico, cousins, uncles, aunts, etc. all take the same approach, with the fortunate exception of the Luna clan, my consanguineal East Coast transplants. Clearly, the traveling gene transmuted itself into my sister and I as a deformity from the long comfortable-wherever-they-may-be Quezada lineage. I never debated it, mostly because I understand where this comes from. Because of a place where matured acculturation intersects with repressing anxiety, I am getting a visit from mommy and an opportunity to convince her firsthand that I'm not crazy for having resettled...Then again, let's not hold our breath. One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)