Translate

Follow by Email

Friday, July 2, 2010

Squirrel Gardens

Mama Squirrel's garden blows any personal NY garden I've seen so far out of the water. This is what happens when one has an actual yard and year-round sunlight. Among the things she grows are zucchinis, yellow squash, watermelon, strawberries, an incredible array of herbs and chilies, corn and the most sensual tomatoes I've ever seen! Pictured below is the tree that bore the oranges for my delicious marmalade from a couple of weeks ago. I can't say that I'm not envious of all of my friend's ability to grow plants so easily... More successful gardening alone might persuade a move back!






Also, I've been eating plums from my mother's plum tree incessantly since I got here. Her pommelo and apple custard trees aren't bearing fruit yet, but they're still so pretty to look at. She has an impressive herb garden as well with sage, thyme, rosemary, echinacea, lemongrass, lavender, different kind of oreganos (like a spicy one) and five different kinds of mints, lemon mint being her favorite. That disgusting looking second fruit is actually a grapefruit tree, which she tells me won't ripen until September. The real winner here though is the fig tree, which she (and I) are very proud of. When I was younger I single-handedly ruined her aloe vera plants, breaking them while playing in the backyard and then blaming it on stray cats.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)