Translate

Follow by Email

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Gorky, Baldessari and Tirado!

The highlight of my personal art-walk was definitely the Gorky exhibit at MOCA. It put me in such a trance, making me feel somewhat elated for the rest of the day. I found it bittersweet at times, yet consistently moving (especially when I referred to what he was personally experiencing throughout his career). I'll admit to taking little notes on his color schemes, and since I couldn't sneak a photo, the following images will have to suffice, along with the Sol LeWitt piece I kept staring at.






The Baldessari exhibit was quite the suitable Los Angeles experience, making me strangely sentimental over California's landscape, appreciating it in a way I hadn't before. It wasn't as inspirational as the following day's Gorky trip, but nevertheless served as a resonant visual experience.






Chinatown was glowing as Hook and I approached our friend Orlando's exhibit during sunset. Below are his self portrait, bird seed pillow, strobed photograph, taxidermied duck and photo guarded by a plastic rod curtain which created a cool ray effect. There were needlework wonders waiting for us at the gallery as well like the pastries below, all made of fabrics and sewing accessories. It did not hurt that a suite full of charming strangers lured us into their den of pizza and lychees afterward.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)