Translate

Follow by Email

Friday, May 21, 2010

Ditching Things, One By One




I've made it a point to treat myself to Bouchon Bakery on Fridays exclusively. I don't think sugary baked goods are meant to be eaten for breakfast every single morning anyway. (Often, but not every single morning. Keep in mind, this is coming from a lady whose morning breakfast with her grandparents consisted of pan dulce and milked down coffee or milkshake, AKA choco-mil'). My preferred pastries are their chocolate and raspberry almond croissants. I skipped the coffee today, as I've been reserving that privilege for post-lunch hours, and made myself a peppermint tea when I got to the office.

I've also been skipping the great schlep of my laptop to and from work. It's heavier than most of the new Macs, I think (I'm still on the PowerBook G4! And it's served me well thus far, and so I'm giving the computer a kiss now and knocking on my desk three times three times. That wasn't a typo, I believe it doesn't work unless you knock thrice a consecutive three times). A coworker asked if I bring it to work with me every morning, and the week before, while Hook was in town, she pointed out that I've always been a schlepper of sorts. She recalled that in high school I would use giant, heavy bags packed with an incredible amount of inventive school supplies and irrelevant knick-knacks that I'd casually pull out Mary Poppins style. She's completely right though, and by the looks of things (glancing at my oversized bag), not much has changed...

Except that I have resolved to not bring the computer home each night. I have tons of pen and paper there, I happen to think my handwriting is nicer than Times New Roman, and my e-mails go straight to my phone. Why make things harder for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an LA transplant now living in Brooklyn. I develop film projects by day, write at night, and have a dangerous predilection for vintage Robinson Golluber scarves- this blog serves as a tiny window to everything else I do when I'm not satisfying those first three passions. I'm trying to blog more and tweet less @annabelleqv. What about you?

Labels

aa dialogues (8) accessories (4) animals (13) architecture (2) arizona (4) artsy fartsy (17) audiologues (1) autotopia (1) blueb's house (12) books (99) breakfast (8) brunch (13) cake (1) cheese (7) chicken (3) chocolate (20) clothes (12) coffee (18) collage (11) colors (20) comfort food (10) crafts (7) cutouts (1) dance (1) decor (5) design (5) dessert (22) dinnertime (48) disneyland (1) drawing (7) dreams (1) drinks (26) etiquette (1) events (2) films (48) friends (13) fruit (1) fun (3) furniture (1) gifts (1) guests (3) health (5) history (10) holidays (21) humor (36) ideas (29) illustrations (5) inspiration (86) invasion of privacy (1) junk food (3) leftovers (3) los ángeles (1) lunchtime (24) matterhorn (1) mexico (9) michael jackson (3) mood (1) moodvies (14) museums (2) music (123) musicals (1) nature (31) nostalgia (40) notebook of patterns (24) notes (8) noteworthy (55) opera (2) paintings (19) pastas (1) pastries (4) patterns (12) photography (18) picnics (3) plants (16) plays (2) poems (12) politics (2) ramblepants (1) recipes (1) restaurants (2) salad (4) salads (2) science (1) scraps (1) sculpture (2) seafood (4) shakes (1) shopping (8) sketching (1) skyscapes (21) smoothies (1) snacks (51) soup (13) Sriracha Rooster sauce (6) summertime (8) sweets (41) thanks (26) the world (19) theatre (2) therapy (41) thoughts (2) tomorrowland (1) travels (54) vegetables (4) video (4) vintage (1) watercolor (1) weddings (1) whining (6) winter (10) wishlist (3) wood painting (7) words (40) writing (3)